10.24.2019

whatHappenstotheHeart::I never called it art


I was always working steady / But I never called it art / I got my shit together / Meeting Christ reading Marx / Sure it failed my little fire / But it's bright the dying spark / Go tell the young messiah / What happens to the heart

There’s a mist of summer kisses / Where I tried to double-park / The rivalry was vicious / And the women were in charge / It was nothing, it was business / But it left an ugly mark / So I’ve come here to revisit / What happens to the heart

I was selling holy trinkets / I was dressing kind of sharp / Had a pussy in the kitchen / And a panther in the yard / In the prison of the gifted / I was friendly with the guard / So I never had to witness / What happens to the heart

I should have seen it coming / You could say I wrote the chart / Just to look at her was trouble / It was trouble from the start / Sure we played a stunning couple / But I never liked the part / It ain’t pretty, it ain’t subtle / What happens to the heart

Now the angel’s got a fiddle / And the devil’s got a harp / Every soul is like a minnow / Every mind is like a shark / I've opened every window / But the house, the house is dark / Just say Uncle, then it's simple / What happens to the heart

I was always working steady / But I never called it art / The slaves were there already / The singerschained and charred / Now the arc of justice bending / And the injured soon to march / I lost my job defending /What happens to the heart

I studied with this beggar / He was filthy he was scarred / By the claws of many women / He had failed to disregard / No fable here no lesson / No singing meadow lark / Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart

I was always working steady / But I never called it art / I could lift, but nothing heavy / Almost lost my union card / I was handy with a rifle / My father's 303 / We fought for something final / Not the right to disagree

Sure it failed my little fire / But it's bright the dying spark / Go tell the young messiah / What happens to the heart 

Leonard Cohen

No comments: